ROBERT C. WELCH, Ph.D.
432 South Madison
Macomb, IL 61455
- Iowa State University, PhD, December, 2011
- Iowa State University, Master of Arts, History, 2006
- University of Northern Iowa, B.A., History, 2003
Current Research Interests
- Nineteenth Century American History
- American Agricultural History
- American Civil War Era
- Western Theater of the Civil War
- Military History
- Agrarian Reform and Unrest
- Adjunct, Western Illinois University, 08/2013-12/2013
History 106 (Survey of United States History II)
- Lecturer, Iowa State University, 08/2008-12/2008
History 222 (Survey of United States History II)
- Teaching Assistant, Iowa State University 08/2004-05/2008
History 221/222 (Survey of United States History I and II)
History 201/202 (Western Civilization I and II)
- Presentation, “’Probably the Most Gigantic Pleasure Excursion Ever Planned’: Foraging and Agriculture During the March to the Sea.” Agricultural History Society Annual Conference, June 7, 2012.
- Presentation, “Secession, War, and the Changing Nature of Agriculture in Georgia” Agricultural History Society Annual Conference, June 18, 2011.
- Presentation, “Reconsidering the Ladder of Tenure: A Case Study in Midwestern Agricultural Tenancy” Agricultural History Society Annual Conference, June 23, 2007.
- Presentation, “Recruiting Citizens: The Iowa Board of Immigration in 1870.” Second Annual James A. Rawley Graduate Conference in the Humanities, April 7, 2007.
- Presentation, “’I Am Just A Farmer Here, Standing for My Rights’: The Cedar County Cow War of 1931”, Agricultural History Society Annual Conference, June, 2006
- Digital Document Conversion, Overland Conversion. 03/2014-Current. Responsible for the scanning and digitization of government documents for future electronic access and preservation.
- Exhibit Research, “What We Wore: A Selection from the Clothing Collection.” Western Illinois Museum, January 22, 2013 – April 20, 2013. Selected and displayed military and civilian uniforms for display.
- Exhibit Research, “A Legacy of Learning: A History of Our Local Schools” at the Western Illinois Museum, June 23, 2012 – September 22, 2012. Researched local school district histories for exhibit background.
- Research and Exhibit Design, “Home Front: Life During the Civil War” at the Western Illinois Museum, February 11, 2012 – May 26, 2012. Selected and researched agricultural artifacts and assisted curator in design and construction of exhibit.
- Researcher/Consultant, “150 Years of Tractors”. Wired Magazine Issue 16.11, November, 2008. Research on the history, development and progression of the internal combustion tractor.
- Summer interpretive intern, Living History Farms. 05/2005-08/2005. Worked as site interpreter on the 1850 Farm as well as at the 1875 Tangen Implement Warehouse. Performed period appropriate site tasks, as well as provided information to site visitors about historical information presented at museum sites.
- “The Eagle and the Journal.” Weekly primary document newspaper column for the sesquicentennial of the Civil War: http://www.eagleandjournal.wordpress.com.
- Gordon M. Winder’s The American Reaper: Harvesting Networks and Technology, 1830-1910 for “ICON: The Journal of the Committee for the History of Technology.” ICON 17 (2011).
- Bradley R. Clampitt’s The Confederate Heartland: Military and Civilian Morale in the Western Confederacy for Civil War Book Review. Winter, 2012.
- David Rolfs’ No Peace for the Wicked: Northern Protestant Soldiers and the American Civil War for Civil War Book Review. Fall, 2009.
- Thomas Campbell’s Confederate Naval Forces on Western Waters: the Defense of the Mississippi River and its Tributaries for H-CivWar, April, 2007.
- Graduate Student Liaison for Mediterranean Historian Search Committee, December, 2007
- Assistant Webmaster, Center for Agricultural History, 2007-2008.
- President, Kappa Iota Chapter, Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society, Iowa State University, 2006-2007.
- Various Articles Published through Center for Agricultural History website, August, 2006.
- Student Employee, Special Collections Department, Iowa State University Library, Summer, 2006
- Researcher, Center for Agricultural History. Summer, 2006
- History Department Representative, Graduate and Professional Student Senate, Iowa State University, 2005 – 2006.
- Agricultural History Society
- Organization of American Historians
- Society of Civil War Historians
- Fall 2008 Garst Research Fellowship Award
- 2005 Iowa State University Department of History Matterson Award