May 5, 1865

Macomb Journal

[From our Extra of last Friday]



            Washington, April 27. – Yesterday morning a squadron of the 16th N. Y. cavalry traced Booth and Harrold to a barn between Bowling Green and Port Royal, near Fredericksburg, Va. The barn was surrounded and a demand made for their surrender, which Harrold was in favor of complying with; but upon Booth’s calling him a coward, he refused to do so. – The barn was then set on fire, and upon its getting too hot, Harrold again presented himself and put his hands through the door to be handcuffed. – While this was going on Booth fired upon the soldiers, upon which a sergeant fired at him. The ball of the sergeant took effect in Booth’s head, killing him.

Booth was on a crutch and was lame. He lived two hours after he was shot, whispering blasphemies against the Government, and sending messages to his mother. At the time he was shot, it is said, he was leaning on his crutch, and preparing to fire upon his captors.


Washington, April 27, 1865.

To Maj. Gen. Dix: J. Wilkes Booth and Harrold were chased from the swamp in St. Mary’s county, Maryland, to Garrett’s farm, near Port Royal, on the Rappahannock, by Col. Baker’s forces. – The barn in which they took refuge was fired. Booth, in making his escape was shot and killed, lingering three hours, and Harrold was captured. Booth’s body and Harrold are now here.


Edwin M. Stanton,
Sec’y of War.


            ‒ Generals Grant and Sherman have reached Washington, after having accepted Johnston’s surrender on the same conditions that Lee surrendered to Grant. So the decided misfortune with which we were threatened by Sherman’s unexplained and unexampled conduct, has fortunately been averted. There is now no rebel force in existence east of the Mississippi river, and all United States territory west of that river will undoubtedly soon be placed in the same desirable situation.



            In Johnson’s reply to Grant’s demand for the surrender of his army, he asks, as a condition, the pardon of Jeff. Davis and the other rebel leaders. – “We are glad to see,” says the Chicago Tribune, “the rebels waking up to the fact that what they need is not supremacy, or prerogativeness, or even rights, but simply ‘pardon.’ That word implies a knowledge that crime has been committed and that punishment is due. – Such language is much more satisfactory and healthy in its tone than was Sherman’s stipulation that the rebels should deposit their arms in their own State capitals, subject to the control of their own rebel Legislatures, while Sherman would disband his army and evacuate their soil, leaving the conquered in possession, while the conquerors were self-expelled. We like to hear the rebels begin to talk about pardon instead denying the jurisdiction of the Court. But let us not be in a hurry about pardoning them. Neither our military commanders nor our civil authorities will probably take any action at present which will prevent Congress from passing a bill of attainder upon the persons and property of the leading rebels. Let no stipulations be granted to rebels in arms. The terms at Fort Donelson – “unconditional surrender” – are sufficiently liberal for the best of them. By all means let the rebel leaders be so disposed of as to secure us indemnity for the future. – Meantime it is something to know that the rebellion is seeking not power – that is crushed; not prerogatives, those are vanished like the baseless fabric of a vision; but “pardon.” So much for “four years of failure” to subdue the rebellion “by the expedient of war.” – It is now in order for the Copperheads to ask pardon. Which of them speaks first? It would be sad to see the rebels returning to loyalty in advance of the Copperheads. The latter then would be in the condition of a parasite with nothing to grow upon.



For the Macomb Journal.

Camp near Charleston, S. C.
March 20, 1865.

            I have permitted a number of weeks to elapse without communicating anything for the columns of the Journal. My reason for this has been, mainly, that I have supposed ever since I left New York, that a very few days would find me with Sherman’s army, greeting once more my old friends and companions in the gallant old 78th Regiment, and that there I should have a large budget of items for the columns of the Journal, but I have been doomed to disappointment. The prospect at present with me renders it doubtful whether I ever rejoin the regiment for duty. – I have been sorely afflicted for about three weeks past with a species of rheumatism which has compelled me to go upon the sick list as totally unfit for service. Instead of improving I find myself gradually growing worse, and [obscured] that in a few days I shall be unable even to hobble about with the assistance of a cane. I will remain with the same detachment with which I started from New York, but I should not be surprised if ere long I am compelled to part company and seek the comforts of a hospital. But I hope for the best, and cling with some degree of confidence to the comforting assurance of my physician, that the warm weather will bring me out all right again.

Our detachment, consisting of a little over seven hundred men, left New York on the steamer Blackstone, on the afternoon of the 31st of January. – We had splendid weather, and no mishaps, and on the evening of the 3d of February, we cast anchor in the harbor off Hilton Head. A day or two after we were transferred to a steamboat and sailed up Broad river, and about 2 o’clock in the afternoon were landed at a point called Blair’s Landing, about five miles from Pocotaligo Bridge, on the Savannah and Charleston Railroad. We found the contrast in the weather great indeed. Less than a week before we had left New York where the cold was intense, and ice abounded, but here we found the birds and frogs singing as merrily as in the summer months in Illinois. We laid out a camp at this place and remained about [obscured] Sherman, and in fact from nobody else. We were in a great measure isolated, and time hung heavy. We had one source of comfort and consolation, and that was – oysters. At low tide we could go down to the river bank and pick them up in large quantities. – Many of our western boys, who had never seen oysters, soon learned to hull and eat them equal to any salt water fisherman. About the 12th of February a fresh detachment of Sherman’s men arrived, among whom I was rejoiced to find my old comrades of the 78th, George K. Hall and Wm. F. Smith, who had been fourteen months prisoners of war in rebel prisons. They were lately from Macomb, and this, too, was a gratifying circumstance to me, as I had not heard from home in two months. And I may say here, that I have received but one letter from home, and seen but one copy of the Macomb Journal since I left Macomb on the 10th of November last, and those were both received before I left Nashville which was on the 27th of December. The difficulty in this respect is our inability to join our respective commands, where, I have no doubt we all have mail awaiting us.

We broke camp at Blair’s Landing, on the night of the 16th of February, and sailed down Broad river, and the [obscured] the Cumbahee river, and landed about dusk and found a good camping place about a mile from the landing. We remained three days at this place, when we ordered to prepare for a march. It was on the morning of the 20th that we shouldered our muskets and knapsacks and turned our faces toward Charleston. We had had no news of military operations since we left New York, but we had gathered some vague rumors from indefinite sources that Charleston was in our possession, which city lay to the east of us about forty-five miles. We were four days in making the journey. We found on our journey but few white families, while the colored population abounded on every plantation. Occasionally we would pick up a rebel deserter, tired and sick of the war, and very willing to avail himself of the benefits of old Abe’s Amnesty Proclamation. I saw many fine residences which had been abandoned by the frightened votaries of secessionism, committed to the flames.


U. S. Hospital, No. 1,
Charlestown, S. C.

April 13, 1865.

The above was written, as will be seen by date, March 20. I have suffered so much since by my complaint that I have felt in no humor to write. From the date of this it will be seen that I have at length reached the hospital, I am now convinced that I am gradually getting better, although I have been betrayed a number of times by flattering prospects.

We have heard the news from Richmond, and all hereabouts, soldiers and citizens, appear to rejoice in the conviction that the war will now be brought to a speedy close. Charleston, the cradle of the rebellion, has numbered among its citizens from the first to the last, during all the vicissitudes of the rebellion, men of loyal hearts who now rejoice in triumph of their salvation. But Charleston, as a city, has suffered awfully by the war. Since the commencement of the rebellion at least one third of the city has been destroyed by fire. The lower part of the city is much riddled and damaged from the effects of the shells. I do not think the city will ever recover from the [obscured].

To-morrow will be a great day in this city. The old Fort Sumter flag will be hoisted again to waved in triumph in its wonted place. The ceremonies will undoubtedly be of a very interesting character.

If my health continues to improve as I hope it may, I will try and write you again next week. But I cannot promise a very entertaining letter when the sharp pangs of rheumatism are playing hide-go-seek up and down my limbs.

Jas. K. Magie.

            P. S. Not a word yet from home. A mail arrived this morning which has not yet been distributed, which I trust may bring me something. George Hall, W. F. Smith and G. S. DeCamp, of Co. I, 78th reg’t are still in camp near the city.


Union County, Illinois.

Union county, in this State, in despite of its loyal name, contains a larger percent of Copperheads and rebels than any other county in Illinois. Bad it notoriously is, yet we can hardly credit the truth of the following statement sent to the N. Y. Tribune, by its Cairo correspondent relating how the news of the murder of the President was received in Union county:

“No more work was to be done. – The news flew from house to house. – Young men mounted their horses, and [fold] Frequently they shouted and whooped. I heard their sharp yells as they rode through the wooded hills. Remember this was in Union county, thirty miles from Cairo, a county that gave seven hundred majority for McClellan. – Union men except in scattered neighborhoods and in towns, are few. The rejoicing among these people, natives of North Carolina, was general and almost enthusiastic. My daughter, while riding out on horseback, was met by another young lady who was radiant with joy. She said she had never been so happy in her life. Women went to see their neighbors to speak to of the glad tidings. They have an idea that it is a great victory to the South. At a quarterly meeting the congratulations of many of the members were warm. – But some feared the news was too good to be true.

I am so sorry for these things. Gen. Fremont, in 1856, got five votes in this county; last year Mr. Lincoln got about 800, and McClellan 1,500, while 500 to 800 were so bitterly secesh that they refused to vote for McClellan and remained away from the polls.


The City Election.

Our charter election on last Monday was an occasion of much excitement. – The issues hinged altogether on local matters. The opposition [fold] to run in on an issue that they themselves made, that Dr. Jordan, the Union nominee, was pledged in case of his re-election, to close the north end of Lafayette Street. In order to refute this assertion, a certified copy of the proceedings of the City Council in relation to the opening of Randolph street, and closing a short road on the north end of the Cemetery, was printed and put in circulation, which had the effect of opening the eyes of several voters, and the consequence was that Dr. Jordan was elected by a large majority – in fact by about double the majority he would have got under ordinary circumstances.

The true issue, according to our judgement, and say this without consulting with any person in particular, was the liquor license question. It is true neither of the candidates for Mayor, or Aldermen, were pledged either way, but there seemed a tacit understanding between those who favor license and those opposed, that that was the only issue, and they voted accordingly. We suppose that the Aldermen elect will so understand this and comply with the wish of the large majority of the loyal voters in this city.

The following is the vote of the city:

Mayor.                                                 Jordan.            Burton.
Ward One,                                              52                    55
Ward Two,                                              49                    15
Ward Three,                                           76                    12
Ward Four,                                            36                    80
                                                                                         213                142

Majority for Jordan, 71.

Aldermen.                                                       Blount             Hammond

Ward One.                                             54                   54
Cochran           Churchill

Ward Two.                                             45                   17
Updegraff       Wells

Ward Three.                                           74                   13
Beardsley        Brown

Ward Four.                                             30                   65

It will be seen that the vote in the First Ward resulted in a tie. The candidates, in the presence of the Council, at their evening session, drew lots, which resulted in the choice of J. W. Blount, the regular Union nominee.

It is due to Mr. Wells, 3d Ward, to state that he declined to run as a candidate upon the Democratic ticket, (he not being of that stripe) and therefore used no exertion to secure votes.

The new Board will stand five Unionists to three Democrats.


Muddy Sport.

As the opposition on election day reported that Dr. Jordan was pledged, in case he was so elected, to close up Lafayette street, upon the result of the election becoming known, some of the boys, on Monday night, when every body else and his wife were in bed and asleep, concluded that, as a majority of the people of Macomb, were in favor of “fencing up” said street, they would save the city the expense, and accordingly borrowed enough rails from a gentleman of the city to run a fence across the street from the jail yard to the opposite side. The [unknown] – faces were considerably stretched in climbing the fence next morning. We understand that the “boys” found “some mud” on the street – don’t know how that is, for we haven’t see the street for some time on account of “high water.”


New Marble Factory.

Mr. John S. Sparks, formerly of Prairie City, in this county, has removed to this city, and opened a marble factory on the south side of the square. Mr. Sparks is a superior workman, and persons wanting anything in his line, cannot do better than to give him their orders. Drop in, when passing, and see specimens.


Burton & Hall.

We neglected last week to call attention to the full column advertisement of Messrs. Burton & Hall. This firm has a very heavy stock of new and fashionable dry goods, purchased during the late great decline in prices, and they sell as cheap as the cheapest. They also keep boots and shoes, glass and queensware. Read their ad., and give them a call at their store northwest corner of the square, one door north of Chandler’s Bank.


Life & Death in Rebel Prisons.

We have received a book with the above title from the publishing house of A. Kidder, 98 Washington street, Chicago. – The writer is R. H. Kellogg, late Serg’t Major of the 16th Connecticut Regiment. He was captured by the rebels in April, 1864, and taken to Andersonville, Ga., prison, where, with 30,000 other starving prisoners, he dragged along a miserable existence for several months. He was finally released by exchange with a few others at Savannah in December last.

The book is ably written, and shows how horribly cruel our brave boys were treated by the “Southern chivalry.” Everything that transpired while the writer was in prison is minutely detailed. The privations, the hope and despair, the schemes of escape, the deaths, the weary life, the expedients to pass the time, the brutality of the rebels, the heroic endurance of the men, the Christian meetings, and the robberies and murders, in short all the events of the prison-house are unfolded in this thrilling narrative. It contains 400 pages and numerous [fold]

This work will be sold by traveling agents only, a number of whom are wanted. Address A. Kidder, 98 Washington street, Chicago. See advertisement in another column.


“Remarkable Episodes.”

Our corpulent friend, Joe Parks, of the firm of M. Strader & Co., has had a “remarkable episode” – in fact, two of ‘em – in his family. He now takes rank with the great exhibitor of “moral wax figgers,” A. Ward, as the “father of twins” – both boys. Joe can take our hat, provided he presents us with a new one from his well-stocked shelves.

P. S. – Friend Joe still lets his older children play with other people’s children as usual.


            → Squibob says that he can make the assertion without fear of successful contradiction, that the streets of Macomb are decidedly muddy. We agree with Squibob.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: